Thursday, July 3, 2008

Epic Journey to Morocco-Part 2

I get to the gate, only to be told, were sorry sir, you didn’t check in 60 minutes before your flight, we gave away your seat. What!!!! How can that happen? I just got rescheduled through here from getting bumped…I can’t get bumped twice in one trip? Again, this flight was overbooked by 15 people as well, so there was no way I was getting on. By this time, I about gave up…I mean, it was easier to get to Antarctica than to catch 1 blasted flight to Amsterdam. Well, the flight was leaving and I was out of options to get to Marrakesh by Friday night. I should have taken the flight on British Air..hmm..
Well, the Northwest Airlines people behind the counter looked at me and asked me why I was here. I was not so calm this time explaining your Seattle Northwest counter parts involuntarly bumped me in Seattle and routed me through here. The lady behind the counter kept asking me where my checked in Luggage was and she would not/could not accept that my luggage left on the flight that I was not on. She kept saying, that can’t be, that is illegal. After 15 minutes of explaining my story, her supervisor came over, hit a few keys, shook her head and confirmed my luggage was on its way to Amsterdam and told me not to expect my luggage where ever I end up.
Northwest Airlines (minus two--luggage really lost and illegal, and NWA didn’t check me in when I left Seattle dooming me to getting bumped--again).
Now I have been up for 16 hours, it is 9pm, I missed two flights, missing my first night in Marrakesh, not knowing where or when I can get to Marakesh or if I can meet up with my tour.
Having done extensive research on flights, I knew quite a few alternative routes to get to Mararkesh. It was obvious I wasn’t going to get to Marrakesh until Saturday morning. Errrggg!!! We tried, London, Spain, Germany, Amsterdam, France, and finally told them Delta code shares with Royal Air Maroc out of New York. We get that flight all worked out, but I don’t get in until Saturday morning 9am in Marrakesh. The tour leaves before then, but maybe I can meet up with the group. The staff in Minneapolis was really, really helpful, giving me several food vouchers, and also explaining to me that I will not meet up with my luggage for several days.
(Northwest Airlines- Plus 1-finding another route- & a $750 voucher for another flight--not sure if I want to use it at that point).
They give me a hotel room, and find out I am just one of hundreds of others from Northwest that had flight issues that night and were being given rooms. So I call the number they gave me for a hotel and it went to some dude named Fred. He was a little upset I was calling at 2300 about a hotel room.
(Northwest Airlines (minus 0.5-booking at hotel and giving me no phone number of how to get there.)
I stumbled on the hotel shuttle, got on, and randomly, got to talking to several other guys in the van who grew up in the town I now live in and named a co-worker as one of his good friends. Then another lady next to me chimed in, and said, her sister also lives in the same town I live in. Here in Minneapolis at 2300 hours I am in a hotel shuttle with 3 separate people that all know the town I live in. Crazy weird.
I get to the hotel, look up my contact at EPIC MOROCCO (awesome company), but it is like 4am at this time. I emailed my booking company Bike Hike Adventures (awesome company) with my story and asked help contacting Epic Morocco. I also leave a message with EPIC Morocco’s website with my story. It is now midnight, been up for who knows how many hours, don’t know if Northwest Airlines will come through and actually get me to Marakesh, don’t know how to meet up, or if I can meet up with my tour group, don’t know where to get a bike helmet or other bike gear, don’t know if the Mall of America will open in time for me to get to the airport. Pretty much a mess, tired and can’t figure out what more to do, and go to bed.
I wake up around 0530 wide awake, go to check my email and find….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't fair - you can't keep stopping the story at the good parts - it's pure torture for people like me.

Seriously, I need the next segment...

kayowe said...

I know the ending to this story, and I'm STILL in suspense!