Monday, July 21, 2008

Epic Morocco-Part 5

Part 5
I look at the lady and say, pardon me, here is my itinerary, here is the boarding pass your companies agent gave me in JFK, New York, here is my ticket number. I was bumped off two flights to get here. She had 10 other people to deal with, so she told me to wait a minute, while the others went right on through the line and loaded the bus to the tarmac where the airplane was sitting. So I thought, great, I make it all this ways to fall short in Casablanca and miss my tour.
-As the last bus full of people drives away, the lady behind the corner of Royal Air Maroc turns to me, looks at my ticket number, looks it up, does a few things, finds something, then hands me a ticket with a seat and tells me to get on the next bus, I am making the plane!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!
So I am on the plane to Marrakesh…yeah…I am getting to Marrakesh. I land in the plane, get off, and go through a huge empty airport. To a carousel. Well, remember we had 15 minutes to switch planes in Casablanca so there is a good chance I won’t find my luggage. Great…
Then the luggage cart comes around and guess what I see…yeah!!! My luggage I just bought in Minneapolis. I don’t see anywhere to try to see if my other luggage made it so I go through customs which was very straight forward and see a man with a piece of paper with my name on it.
We figure out He doesn’t speak English, I don’t speak French or Arabic, so we decide on Spanish. So I am able to tell him that I have another bag from another airplane that came yesterday. Turns out his French isn’t so good, so here is the funny part. I translate my English to Spanish, speak Spanish to him, he translate that into Arabic to the Customs guy, who talked in French to the other customs guy. They tell me to follow him and he brings me to the claims guy who speaks English. Yeah!!! I tell him my story and hand him my luggage tag (yes they are useful) and he tells me he has it locked up. Wow…I have two pieces of luggage now. But I have to tell the other customs guy down the hall to bring the key.
When I get to the customs guy, I ask in French if anyone speaks English. They get one guy, and I motion and say a key and point to the other guy. They must have understood the international hand symbol for key, because they scrambled around for a couple minutes and produced a key. They open the door and there was my luggage. Kind of sketchy, I get the bag and the guy tells me to have a nice day, doesn’t check the tag or anything.
I walk back through customs with two full luggage sets out to the driver waiting for me, we get in the Land Rover and we are off. To recap, I have slept 4.5 hours 30, I am on my way in a car, speaking to a Moroccan driver in Spanish in Africa and he keeps inserting Arabic words in Spanish which is confusing the daylights out of me. 2 ½ hours later, we go up and over Tishka Pass which is way high~7k feet, where it is now cold, damp, raining and we are going way into the middle of nowhere. We pass many donkeys with goods on their backs being driven on small paths and red, red rock. We keep going, and going, and going. I finally ask him if he knows where he is going and he says yes…of course he would.
We go to the town of Telout, where we were supposed to meet and there was no group….hmmm…the driver then pulls off the road to a 1 lane road where we are looking for the group. We drive for 20 minutes and nothing. This is really weird.

3 comments:

cat said...

Hehe, you're having more of an adventure going to Morocco than you'll have when you finally get there! Probably not, but this is one WILD story. Keep it coming!
MitchCat

kayowe said...

I love this story...would love more photos to go w/ it.

Jason Swick said...

I'm way to impatient...
WRITE FASTER!!!