Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Costa Rica - Feb 14

Hi Guys,

Here begins another tale of adventure. Prior to this trip, I had a horrible time getting to Morocco and got a $750 voucher with NW Airlines. So I found NW had a flight to Costa Rica and Bike Hike Adventures happened to have trip crossing the entire country by human power. Sounded fun.

Day 1: Feb 14
My Luggage made it! Yeah! Arrived in San Jose and got to the hotel around 3pm. Met up with Erica, one of the other travelers and decided to walk back into San Jose. So nice to go from snow to 80's T-shirt weather.

I forgot my map so, I hope I get the names correct.

Initial view is that Costa Rica has a significantly higher standard of living conditions than other parts of Central America. Here is the local theater and main square of town.



Proving true to just about every other major city square, there were Pigeons. Here I am on 4 hours of sleep in the main square (red eye flight) and pigeons. Still don't get the attraction to have pigeons crawls all over you.


I love putting together panorama photos. My auto stitch program does some pretty cool stuff sometimes. Look at the red car on the lower left. Really plays tricks with ones eyes. The see-thru person is also pretty neat.

Near the square there were these neat looking fountains. Next to them was a McDonald's, Starbucks, KFC, and equivalent of Chick Fillet. The more I travel, the less I want to go to fast food.




The street vendors were quite friendly. They lay their spread out of the street and hope you buy something. Small leather goods, necklaces, and random stuff I had no clue on were for sale.


On the way back from town we saw this Mediterranean looking building. Turns out it was a restaurant. After walking nearly 2 miles at night looking for a place to eat, we went back here for dinner. Good food. Kind of reminded me of Morocco in Costa Rica...odd combination.



Day 1 was pretty short. Still tired. For those going to San Jose, El Pueblo had a bunch of nice restaurants and when you go on Valentines day, the middle-high end restaurants are packed. Also ask the front desk. They recommended several. If you go with Bike Hike, their recommendations were very nice as well.

Our walk back at night was very interesting. I think we passed 3 disco-techs with lines 200 people deep, a punk rock bar with Glen Plake style Mohawks, and finally the Guy/Girl (not sure)-hooker-drug dealer corner. If I was walking alone, may have taken a cab.
Did not see the Bird that would mock me the rest of the trip: Montezuma Oro Pendula. I would show you a picture...but that would give this bird too much credit.

No comments: