Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Banff Grand Fondo.


Got a blessing with the weather.  The night before it was blustery, wet and cold. 

Woke up to a surprisingly warm morning, barely a cloud in the sky.  This was going to be a great day.  Got to the race site early, switched my number from a jacket to a jersey and arm warmers. 

Getting to line up 15 minutes before the start and found this!  With 1500 riders it was packed.  Joined in the end of the 4.5 hour group for a 89 mile ride.  I was doing this for a fun, non-competitive  reason to keep in shape.


The sea of people were going to make for a crazy start.  My only experience with a mass start is cyclocross which is mad chaos.  The race was delayed for what I was told a monster Bull Elk blocking the path 1/2 mile in.  With problems like this it will make for a good start.


The ride was super hard to concentrate on riding, rather just looking around at the beautiful sights.  The route started off flat, then 1 mile in found myself around 12% grade for nearly 1/2 mile.  The folks in the 4.5 hour route were not 4.5 hour riders as the hill weeded out quite a few really quickly, but I was in for the fun of it and kept grinding up the hill.

For the entry fee, they gave us our own lane to ride in which was a super nice on the ride out to Lake Miniwanka. 

Coming back through town there was a lot of cow bell cheering us on.  Turned out by Vermillion Lakes and onto the Bow Valley Parkway. At the first aid station I pigged out on Honey Stinger products and enjoyed the atmosphere.  Below is a photo from the first aid station.



After riding 52 miles (at Lake Louise) I looked at the guys next to me and asked perhaps with a bit too much energy "who is ready to go run a 1/2 marathon".  I have never seen anyone look at my like I was from a new planet of crazy.  Kinda weird for a group that doesn't think twice about riding 89 miles.


So to keep things light, the nice folks of Banff provided a German ooompa-lumpa band for the last stop around 70 miles in.

I was able to pick up a pace line of ~13 folks or so and before could never figure out how someone uses 52x12 gearing until I got in the pace line.  Went from 19.5mph at 155 HR to 23.5mph at 141 HR.  Super fun, but had a lot of surging going on.

The views were hard to describe and no I did not photoshop this one.  Castle Junction.


Riding with a camera this sign said "watch for wildlife".  Some don't believe it but up in Banff Alberta be prepared for anything.

 
So What do you do when a Big Horn Sheep takes a land and stares you down.....give him the whole lane and slow to take a photo.  Super cool

After going around the corner I found the rest of the herd on the side of the road.  Note the length of the horn curl. 


Coming home around mile 82 or so my legs were feeling a bit tired so I stopped to enjoy the view on the way home.  Hard to take a bad photo of these things.  Typical views from the whole trip.


In all, felt pretty good for only training up to a 3.5 hour bike ride and not really training since June.  Will have to give coach Jason of SET Coaching credit for getting me fit earlier in the year before a shoulder and foot injury took me out of Xterra and Triathlon this year.

If you want an excuse to see unreal mountains, wildlife, a great relaxed vibe and a whole land for yourself between Banff and Lake Louise come check the Banff Grand Fondo out. 

No comments: